The Newman Building, shown here, was built in 1892 by Charles Newman. He made his fortune from opening drug stores in Alamosa, Chama, Silverton, Animas City and Durango. This 800 block along the west side of Main Avenue in downtown Durango is still known as the Newman Block. The first and primary tenant of this building was the Smelter National Bank starting in 1892. Unfortunately, it failed in 1897. Since then, the building has been home to many different businesses through the years. Today, this Romanesque sandstone building houses Joel’s Bar, Lively (a boutique) and The Sparrow Mercantile.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, [email protected]