AZTEC – San Juan County Fire and Rescue recognized three San Juan County Sheriff’s Office personnel, Fire and Rescue Capt. Kendra Colomb and volunteer firefighter Brandon Elliot for their part in rescuing two people from a structure fire.
San Juan County spokesperson Devin Neeley sent a news release Thursday that said San Juan County Fire Chief John Mohler presented volunteer firefighter Elliot, sheriff’s deputies Gabriel Stow and James Castillo, and sheriff’s Lt. Scott Facka with commendations for their quick action and bravery.
On March 10, the three members of the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the scene of a structure fire. Before firefighting gear could arrive, the deputies assisted the residents out of the burning building.
According to the release, Elliot lives near the scene of the fire and was the first firefighter to arrive.
“Between the actions of deputies, highly professional communications by dispatchers at the San Juan County Communications Authority, and on-scene cooperation between fire and law enforcement personnel, the occupants were safe,” the release said. “Without working smoke detectors and the actions of the deputies, there could have been a very different outcome.”
A month earlier, firefighters were called to the residence for a possible fire, and during that investigation, Colomb noticed the residence “was not outfitted with working” smoke detectors.
Colomb was presented with a commendation for installing the smoke detectors, which ultimately saved lives.
“Working smoke detectors save lives, there is no doubt about that,” said Mohler. “In this case, quick action of public safety agencies has helped save two lives in our community.”
San Juan County Fire and Rescue encourages residents to check all smoke detectors twice a year, replace temporary batteries and practice escape routes. The department offers a limited number of smoke detectors for residents. For more information, call (505) 334-1180.