William M. Pennington and Lisle Updike co-owned the Pen-Dike Studio from 1908 to 1911 in Durango, shown in this parade photo at 915 Main Ave. around 1918. The studio was first opened in 1906 by Pennington, who later bought out his partner. They photographed “everyone” in Durango. Pennington eventually renamed it Pennington Studios. The two continued to work together, however, into the 1920s. They were known for their work together photographing the Navajo community in and around Shiprock, New Mexico. Many of these photos were published in H. Jackson Clark’s book “Glass Plates & Wagon Ruts.” Pennington operated the studio until he sold it in 1935. He died in 1940.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, [email protected]