This early Sinclair gas station and car wash was located at the corner of Seventh Street and Main Avenue. We know the “Joe the Tailor” shop (on right) is on the 1919 Sanborn Map, but the gas station is not. The Sanborn Maps were published in the 19th and 20th centuries to assist fire insurance companies with evaluating their liability. Today, they are an invaluable resource available online through the Library of Congress. Because the gas station is not on the 1919 map, we know it was built sometime after that. This was a good location downtown, and through the years many service stations were located in the central business district. At present, none remain. Today, this location is home to Lanka Blue Jewelry and Magpies Newsstand & Café.
Ed Horvat for Animas Museum, [email protected]